Dogs & Chocolate: Why It’s Toxic & What To Do

Easter is coming up and we’re sure you’ve seen all the warnings about not letting your dog eat chocolate, but do you know what to do if they do eat chocolate, and what else to avoid?

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Chocolate?

Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound theobromine. Dogs find this substance very difficult to digest, and this can lead to increased blood pressure, vomiting, dehydration, abdominal pains, seizures and in some cases, death.

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it will contain, so watch out for dark chocolate, baker’s chocolate and cocoa powder.

What To Do When Your Dog Eats Chocolate

Always be safe. Phone your vet to get their advice even if your dog doesn’t show any signs of poisoning. They could be in pain but may not be showing it.

If you notice your dog vomiting or having seizures, take them to the vet straight away

If you can, have the following information on hand for the vet:

  • How much chocolate your dog has eaten
  • What type of chocolate it was
  • When your dog ate the chocolate
  • How heavy the dog is

What Else May Be Toxic To My Dog?

The following foods can cause a variety of issues when ingested at certain levels, including diarrhoea, vomiting, issues with the nervous system, kidney failure and tremors:

Coffee, Caffeine, Grapes, Raisins or Sultanas, nuts, particularly macadamia nuts, onions, garlic or chives, xylitol sweetener, salt, or salty snack foods, milk and dairy, alcohol

 

Remember: If in doubt, ask your vet! Have a great Easter Weekend, and stay safe!

Comments are closed here.