Quick Christmas Horse Toy
Treat your horse this festive season with a fast and easy to make toy:
Healthy Christmas Treat Decoration
You will need:
- Apple Corer
- A small number of horse-friendly fruit or vegetables such as swedes, parsnips, bananas or cucumbers. We used the following items for a festive look:
- 2 turnips
- 2 pears
- 4 apples in red and green
1. Cut the turnips in half to produce four equal pieces. You may wish to cut either end off in you prefer.
2. Core the apples, pears and the turnip chunks.
3. Thread the fruit and vegetables onto the twine, alternating the colours to make it look festive.
4. Ensure that you leave plenty of twine at either end to allow it to be tied.
5. Tie off the ends to ensure the fruit and vegetables stay on the twine, but allow about 3 inches of extra twine for the food to move about on to keep the horse entertained. You may want to secure the fruit at either end by tying the twine around the circumference as well as through the middle.
6. If your horse stays outdoors during the winter, tie each end of the twine onto a low hanging tree branch, or if your horse is predominantly stabled, tie the twine somewhere in the stall where the horse can reach it.
7. Alternatively, cut off the excess string at one end and hang from the other to create a free swinging toy.