Canine Christmas Cake Recipe
This Christmas, treat your dog to their very own cake with this canine -friendly recipe:
Canine Christmas Cake
- 1 egg
- 116g cup honey
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 90g peanut butter
- 175g shredded fruit or veg (we used apple and carrot)
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg and cinnamon
- 175g chopped fruit. You can use dried fruit and soak in water for 30mins before use.(we used cranberries and cherries for that festive feel)
- 230g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
To Decorate (optional):
- Small dog biscuits, fruit pieces (but not grapes, sultanas or raisins), a small number of crushed nuts (but not macadamias)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C for a fan oven). Line a cake tin with baking paper.
- Combine the egg, honey, vegetable oil, peanut butter and grated fruit or veg in a mixing bowl. Fold in the sugar, baking powder and spices until well combined. Stir in the chopped fruit until evenly distributed.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin, smooth the surface and bake for 40 minutes.
- While baking, mix the cream cheese with the carob powder and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl to make the icing. You can use fruit puree, peanut butter, yoghurt or mashed potato as a replacement for the cream cheese mixture if you like.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut the cake into 2 layers.
- Spread the icing between the layers and on top of the cake.
For smaller versions, you could use our Silicone Pawrint Cupcake Pan and lower the baking time. Non-baking pet owners might like our Hatchwell’s range of Canine Christmas Puds, Christmas Tarts and Yule logs.