Seasonal Pet Allergies and How to Combat Them
Our pets can suffer from seasonal allergies just as much as us humans. Instead of a reaction of the respiratory system, however, in our pets, these allergies typically occur through their skin.
Symptoms can include:
- Excessive scratching, chewing or licking
- Hair loss and/or deterioration of coat condition
- Hot spots or inflamed skin
- Ear irritation, discharge and/or odour
Common Seasonal Allergens that Affect Our Pets
- Pollen. Tree, flower, grass or weed pollen affect dogs in particular and can occur at any point between April and October.
- Fleas. Surprisingly perhaps, many pets are actually allergic to flea bites. While slight irritation is typical, some pets will suffer from serve itching.
- Insect bites. Mosquitos and ants are the most common bites to affect your pet in the UK. Usually these bites are harmless, but they can also cause an allergic reaction. Apply a soothing cream such as Groomers EPOC to relieve the area.
How to Ease the Effects of Seasonal Allergies
There are numerous measures you can adopt to reduce the effects of allergies for your pet:
- Weekly bathing your dog with a mild shampoo will remove allergens from your dog’s coat directly, and will also help soothe his itchy skin. Try bathing in cool water with Groomers EPO Shampoo, which contains 1% pure cold-pressed evening primrose oil ideal for soothing sensitive skins.
- Wipe your dog’s paws after any outside activities. This will immediately eliminate any continued exposure once inside.
- Try a food supplement with Omega 3, which is clinical proven to help lessen the body’s response to allergens. Groomers Evening Primrose Oil Food Supplement is very high in fatty acids, and is ideal for dogs suffering from persistently troublesome skin conditions.
- Check the pollen count before you take your dog on a walk, and consider rescheduling if the pollen count is particularly high.
- Keep a clean house – vacuuming and dusting regularly can help significantly reduce seasonal allergens in your dog’s environment.
- Contact your vet if your dog’s allergies seem particularly sever. Do not self-medicate your dog with human antihistamines without veterinary consultation.
To help combat seasonal allergies, Groomers are currently offering 15% OFF select skin care products. To view the range click here.