Canine Christmas Bake Recipe
Our pets are a part of the family, and many of them will be joining us for Christmas dinner. This is an ideal recipe to use up leftovers after Christmas dinner, and is a great way to involve your dog in the festivities. This recipe will make a large bake big enough for approximately three meals for a medium sized dog. You can easily adjust the measurements accordingly depending on how many leftovers you have and how big your dog’s appetite is.
- Cooked left-over Christmas dinner meat – turkey, pigs in blankets etc. (2 -3 large handfuls ideally)
- Cooked left-over Christmas dinner vegetables (parsnips, carrots and spouts are all fine for dogs, again 2 – 3 large handfuls)
- 150g leftover mashed potatoes (if you don’t have mash try breadcrumbs)
- 100ml chicken stock or gravy
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Chop up all your Christmas dinner left overs into bite sized chunks and set aside.
- Warm the stock or gravy in a pan, then set aside.
- Add your left overs to a baking tin a layer at a time, then pour the stock or gravy over the leftovers.
- Top with a thick layer of mashed potato, then bake in the oven for 25 -30 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it cool for a few minutes then simply spoon into your dog’s bowl. It is important not to re-heat food more than once, so serve any remaining Christmas bake cold on any following days.
Not all festive food is fit for canine consumption, so make sure you do not include the following in your festive bake:
- Turkey/chicken bones
- Stuffing that contains onions or garlic
- Anything with raisins or sultana
- Walnuts and macadamia nuts