Cat Bathing for Cat Owners
Many cats are fastidious groomers, and are generally well equipped to tackle their own bathing needs. However, if your cat is mature, infirm, has long hair or is just very dirty, bathing can be necessary.
Here are our tips for stress-free cat bathing at home:
- Time bathing for when your cat is mellow – after playing and eating is usually a good time
- Wear protective clothing, such as long gloves and an apron, or perhaps invest in a Cat Mesh Bag to keep your skin scratch-free
- Speak in a soft, reassuring voice throughout, and employ a firm yet gentle hold
- Brush before bathing to remove any knots and tangles
- Place a non-slip mat inside the tub or sink to stop the cat from slipping
- Place the cat in the tub and then add warm water slowly to a depth of about 10cm
- Wet the coat using a gentle showerhead or a water jug, carefully avoiding the cats ears and face
- Lather shampoo (and conditioner if required) in the direction of coat growth from shoulders to tail
- Ensure shampoo and conditioner are rinsed away thoroughly, as residue can irritate the skin and attract dirt
- Comb through the wet coat to remove any remaining knots, a wash the face with a grooming wipe
- Dry kitty by wrapping her in a large towel and lie her somewhere warm
- Give your cat plenty of praise and a treat at the end of the bathing session
Cat Bathing Formulations
When grooming cats it is important to use appropriate bathing products developed with cats in mind, as some canine formulations can be harmful to felines. In light of this, we at Groomers have now launched a new range exclusively for use with cats, formulated using cat-friendly ingredients.
This rich, indulgent shampoo features pure royal jelly to cleanse and enrich the coat with added shine. It also features a gentle formulation free from parabens and sulphates.
Our Buttermilk Spa Rinse offers a rich, hydrating formula, perfect for use with medium to long coats. Featuring pure cold-pressed evening primrose oil, this product helps keep fur silky, soft and tangle free, and can also help to reduce hairballs.
This mild shampoo helps to both cleanse and relax cats while bathing. The calming, pH balanced formula is enriched with a subtle lavender fragrance, and is free from parabens and sulphates.
This new Detangling Grooming Spray is an ideal pre-bath treatment spray to remove tangles from long-haired cats. This water-based spray makes hair softer, smoother and more manageable, as well as helping to reduce hairballs and prevent against future tangles.
To view our entire cat bathing range, click here.