Top Five Dog Friendly Beaches
Summer is not complete without a trip to the beach, and it is one of life’s great pleasures to walk along the sand with your canine companion. Beaches are a great place to take your dog – offering wide open spaces for him to run, swim and play.
It is important however to source a good dog-friendly beach to visit, for the benefit of yourself, your dog and other beach users. You should also try to head for a sandy beach, which are best for sensitive doggy paws, and it is also important to find a beach with safe shallow waters and gentle tides.
We have a lovely warm weekend ahead of us, so here are some of our favourite dog friendly beaches across the UK:
- Durdle Door, Dorset. An unspoilt and dramatic coastline with a sand and pebble beach. Also a beautiful spot for cliff walks with great views.
- Holkham, Norfolk. A huge, unspoilt stretch of sandy beach with a very low tide.
- Balmedie, Aberdeen. This location offers over 5 miles of wide beach and sand dune, ideal for peaceful walks.
- Rhossili Bay, Gower Peninsula. Located on the very tip of the Gower Peninsula, offering miles of sand and views dominated the handsome Rhossili Downs, which tower over the beach.
- Druridge Bay Beach, Northumberland. Many of Northumberland’s beaches are dog friendly, but this long, white sandy beach is one of the best, with beautiful sand dunes and plenty of facilities.
Things to remember when out on the beach:
- Always take some waste bags with you – it is important to keep beaches clean so they remain dog friendly
- Consider local wildlife, especially in a conservation area, keeping your dog under close control
- Take a towel to dry off your dog after a dip in the sea
- Ensure you take some fresh water with you especially if it is hot, as it is important your dog does not drink any sea water