Mixed Breed Grooming – Top Tips
Professional groomers tend to encounter mixed breed dogs on a regular basis these days, especially with the growing popularity of crossbreed “designer dogs” such as Cockapoos, Labradoodles and the like. Indeed, there are even standard clips emerging for these popular crossbreed dogs.
Typically, however, mixed breed dogs come in a wide variety of shapes, colours and coat types, sometimes with unusual and even perplexing conformations. Many professional dog groomers love grooming mixed breeds, as they offer the possibility to be creative and imaginative with grooming, along with more freedom to experiment with ideas and techniques. Mixed breeds can present a challenge however, which is why we at Groomers have devised a quick guide to mixed breed dog grooming:
Key Points to Remember:
- Consider the breed history – what does the dog resemble most closely? If there is obviously a dominant breed apparent in the dog’s appearance try to work to that.
- Ensure basic preparation – give them a good brush before bathing (a slicker is the ideal multi-purpose tool here), try a general-purpose shampoo such as Groomers Banana and Mango or Crown Coat with Royal Jelly. Use conditioner if the coat needs it.
- If there is no obvious breed type exhibited, look for the best elements of the dog and groom to flatter those characteristics. Consider the coat type at all times too.
- Utilise scissors and thinners readily to neaten the coat and graduate the trim.
- Consult the owner. It is vital you determine what they would like their dog to look like, and explain to them what you can do with the coat, along with its limitations.
- If in doubt, try the teddy bear cut. This easy, low maintenance clip is ideal for a wide variety of breeds, and is very popular with owners. Check out our “how to” blog for guidance with this here.
- One of the great things about grooming mixed breeds is that there is no right or wrong way to approach each dog. The focus is to please the owner and leave the dog looking and feeling good.