The Flea Cycle and Your Dog

Fleas are the most common parasite to affect canines. There are over 2,000 species of flea worldwide, and many of these love to live on your dog! Approximately 95% of fleas host on mammals, with the remaining 5% living on birds. Fleas thrive in warm, moist environments and climates, making April – September in the UK an important time to protect your dog against fleas.

The Life Cycle of a Flea

  • The Egg Stage. Flea eggs are non-sticky, so instead of staying in the animal’s hair they typically fall onto the floor, remaining in carpets, floorboards or bedding for up to two weeks.
  • The Larva Stage. Flea eggs hatch into larva, which live for about five to 20 days feeding off organic debris on the floor. Flea larva typically accumulates deep in carpet piles in areas where pets lie/sleep regularly.
  • The Pupa Stage. Throughout the pupa stage, the larva develops into an adult flea. The adult flea will emerge when conditions are perfect, when temperatures are warm and there is a high level of humidity. This can take anywhere between three days and one year.
  • The Adult Stage. The adult flea can live for several months, with female fleas laying around 500 eggs in that time. Fleas prefer to live on animal hosts, as they need to eat before they can lay their eggs.

Preventing Fleas Effectively 

With fleas, it is important to tackle their whole life cycle, focusing on both your pet and your environment. Use a flea treatment such as Frontline regularly in combination with an insect repellent shampoo such as Groomers Ridasect, (a powerful insect repellent with no harsh chemicals). You should also ensure you vacuum your home regularly, as vacuuming collects up to 95% of fleas at every stage of their life cycle.

Groomers Ridasect is currently available with 10% off. To view our full range of spring flea products, click here.

Comments are closed here.