Valentine’s Themed Horse Muffins
He might not know that it is Valentine’s Day soon, but your horse will certainly appreciate these lovely muffins, devised specifically for equine taste buds. This recipe is easy and fun to make, and horses absolutely love it. Each muffin even has a pleasant pink tinge, naturally derived from the grated beetroot. Perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- 125g plain flour
- 125g rolled oats
- 95g dry oatmeal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 beetroots
- 2 apples
- 60g raisins
- 200g molasses
- Apple juice
- Pre heat oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5.
- Mix the flour, oats, oatmeal and baking powder in a bowl.
- Grate the beets and apples, and add to the dry mix with the raisins. Stir in thoroughly.
- Add the molasses, then slowly pour in the apple juice while constantly stirring. Stop adding the apple juice once you have a medium-thick, slightly lumpy mixture that looks a bit like pancake batter.
- Pour the batter into cupcake or muffin cases, and then bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once the muffins have risen, and are golden and slightly springy.
- Cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container for up to one week.
If muffins are a little to fiddly for your liking, you could simply pour the batter into a deep baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes, then cut into treat bars.