Valentine’s Day Dog Treats
Dogs offer us unconditional love and companionship that is hard to replicate. Treat your four-legged friend this Valentine’s Day to some tasty biscuit treats designed specifically for doggy taste buds. These biscuits are quick and easy to make, and they even have a red/pink tinge to them, thanks to the natural colouring from the grated beetroot!
- 200g sifted whole-wheat flour
- 100g oatbran
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 100g chicken livers
- 1 grated beetroot
- 2 tbs. sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- Cold water
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6.
- Lightly grease two baking trays.
- Chop the bacon and chicken livers into small pieces approximately 1cm thick. Lightly fry in a little oil until just cooked through.
- In a large glass bowl mix the whole-wheat flour and the oatbran with a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the sunflower oil until fully mixed and slightly frothy.
- Add the egg mixture, the grated beetroot and the meat to the flour mixture and stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Add a little cold water as required to make a stiff biscuit dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to your desired thickness – 1cm is ideal.
- Cut into heart shapes using a biscuit cutter, rerolling any scraps until no dough is left.
- Place the biscuits evenly on the two baking trays, then bake for 25 to 30 minutes until firm and golden.
- Cool the biscuits on a wire rack, then store in an airtight box to retain freshness.
Remember, treats should only make up approximately 5 – 10% of your dog’s diet. You can supplement ingredients for these biscuits as necessary for your dog’s dietary requirements as necessary, or you could use chicken pate instead or liver chunks for particularly indulgent treats. You could also add some Groomers Food Supplement to the mixture instead of sunflower oil for an added health kick. And don’t forget, we also have a Valentine’s Day gift collection, which can be found here.