Horse Recipe: Christmas Time Treats
He might not know that it is Christmas, but your horse will certainly appreciate a tasty festive cinnamon and apple treats designed specifically for Equine taste buds.
This recipe is easy and fun to make, and horses absolutely love it. You can easily tailor this recipe to suit taste and dietary requirements. You could substitute the carrots with parsnips, squash or beetroot should you so choose, for example. Just ensure that you avoid ingredients such as chestnuts, raw potatoes or cocoa, or any other ingredients that are dangerous to equines.
- 250g bran
- 100g crushed barley
- 2 carrots
- 4 apples
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 100g molasses
- 200g apple sauce
- Pre heat oven to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5.
- Oil a baking tray or line with greaseproof paper.
- Grate the carrots and apples.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl, then add the apple sauce and molasses until well mixed. You should have a thick batter.
- Spread the batter evenly on the baking sheet, and then bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, batter should be firm to the touch, and should be shrinking away slightly from the sides of the baking tray.
- Slice into squares while still warm, then store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.