He might not know that it is Valentine’s Day, but your horse will certainly appreciate some tasty biscuity treats designed specifically for equine taste buds. These quick and easy home-made horse bites make a lovely treat for your horse, and even have a lovely pink tinge to them, thanks to the natural beetroot juice colouring!
These biscuits are easy to make and horses absolutely love them. You can easily tailor this recipe to suit taste and dietary requirements. You could substitute the grated carrot or grated beetroot, for example, or you could an extra couple of apples instead.
- 150g grated carrots
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 100g cup molasses
- 1 tsp. salt
- 150g rolled oats
- 160g plain whole-wheat flour
- 50ml beetroot juice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Lightly grease one baking tray, or line with grease-proof paper.
- In a large glass bowl mix the grated apple, carrot, oil, beetroot juice and molasses together.
- Fold in the salt and oats.
- Sift the flour, then fold into the mixture until the dough is a unified colour and texture. Do not over mix.
- Spread the dough evenly onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minute or until golden.
- Allow to cool completely, then break into generous chunks and serve. Store in an airtight container.